Have you jumped on the Reels train? In August, Instagram released its newest feature—Reels. Basically, TikTok for Instagram.
Record and edit 15-second multi-clip videos with audio, effects, and new creative tools. You can share reels with your followers on Feed, and, if you have a public account, make them available to the wider Instagram community through a new space in Explore
How INSTAGRAM Reels Works
You record and create your Reel just like you are going to create an Instagram Story. Just select Reels at the bottom of your screen instead of Story. Reels can be recorded in a series of clips (one at a time), all at once, or using video uploads from your gallery. Record the first clip by pressing and holding the capture button. You’ll see a progress indicator at the top of the screen as you record. Stop recording to end each clip.
Tips For Creating Reels For Your Business
It can be overwhelming to create your first Reel. Do I have to dance? What about those jumping ones or where the person changes outfits? There are some very elaborate Reels out there. But you don’t have to get crazy in order to take advantage of this new feature.
Some things to keep in mind when starting out using Reels for your business:
- Keep it simple: Get familiar with the process of creating and sharing Reels and then start to add more technical transitions and affects. To start out, just record your Reel as one single video. Add audio and on screen text and share. No need for stitching clips together unless the content calls for it.
- Keep your audience in mind: Don’t use Instagram Reels with the intent to go viral. Use Instagram Reels as a way to establish yourself as an authority and leader in your industry.
- Add value: Reels is just another format to share the value you add. What can you teach or offer your audience that helps solve their problems?
- Repurpose content: You don’t have to share brand new content or information. Repurpose tips you shared in a social media post or on a blog. Just repackage it in Reels format.
- Keep it short: You can now record Reels up to 30 seconds (but that doesn’t mean you should): Instagram added a 30 second option. So if you are struggling to fit everything into 15 seconds, you now have a little more wiggle room. But rather than going the longer route, try editing your content first. Too much is not always a good thing.
- Grab their attention right away: Remember that our attention spans are pathetically short. Hook viewers right away to get them to watch your full Reel.
- Just do it: Instagram rewards early adopters, so now’s the time to jump on this new trend.
Now that you know HOW and WHY you should to create Instagram Reels, let’s talk about what to film. I’ve got 10 ideas below to get your creative juices flowing.
10 Instagram Reels Ideas For Your Business
- Tell your story: What led to to where you are today? Give a brief history or timeline of your career/business.
- Introduce yourself: Who are you? What are a few things we may not know about you or your business?
- Show a day in the life: You can show clips from a typical work day or a weekend. People love seeing behind the scenes.
- 3 tips for_______: Share your favorite tips that are relevant to your audience. Try not to share more than 3-5 so you aren’t rushing to fit them all in.
- Before and After: This can be you getting ready, before and after a project is complete. Bonus points for showing parts of the process.
- Assumptions: What do people think your job is like? Show the reality of what it’s really like.
- Round up of your favorite products or tools of the trade: What are your must-have tools, products or resources? Share them with your audience.
- Do’s and Don’ts: What mistakes do you find people always make? Break down the do’s and don’ts to give your audience a quick win.
- Quick Hack: What is something you discovered that saved you time or made life or work easier? Share it with your audience. One of my first Reels was how to easily create a beautiful, branded email signature. (head to @2lsmarketing_ to watch it).
- How to work with you: Walk people through what they need to know before working with you. Or share the steps to doing business with you or using your product.
There are so many ideas out there. If you see something that inspires you, save it or make a note and create your own version. I suggest starting with the content you already have and thinking about how you can repurpose it into Reels content. There is no need to reinvent the wheel completely here.
Tell me…how are you using Instagram Reels?
One thought on “10 Ideas For Using Instagram Reels For Your Business”